Welcome to the Jumeira Baccalaureate School official Q and A page. Here we ask the questions, and the school answers directly. It is its chance to have its say on specific areas you have told us you want to know about. If you think there are additional questions we should be asking you may contact us here.
We are open for admissions for all grades.
At JBS, our vision is to prepare our students for the innovation age by igniting their passions, purpose and curiosity through challenge and high expectations. Our students are responsible, confident, and independent learners; they embrace and celebrate diversity, they strive for excellence, whilst maintaining happiness and wellbeing.
Our mission is:
- To embrace and respect diversity;
- To foster the wellbeing of all members of our community;
- To create a culture in which learning can flourish;
- To engage with high levels of challenge, enabling academic and personal success;
- To support cognitive and social skill development using innovative, research-based practice to enhance learning for all;
- To support the development of emotional intelligence, guided by the elements of the IB learner profile;
- To promote environmental awareness, sustainability and entrepreneurship.
Our Core values are:
- Wellbeing: promoting self-awareness; self-control; empathy; social skills; and personal responsibility.
- Innovation: promoting critical thinking; communication; collaboration; and creative problem-solving skills.
- High Expectations: promoting learner resilience; the capacity to reflect and act on constructive feedback; take pride in work; and a desire to excel.
- Inclusion: promoting a diverse learning community; building relationships with, and motivating, each learner, including students of determination,
- International Mindedness: promoting an attitude of respect to self and others.
Our school community has over 67 nationalities.
JBS offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and Career Related Programme which both include external examinations. JBS also offers the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Information Technology (IT), including the units Communication and Employability Skills in IT, Computer Systems, Database Design, Website Production, Digital Graphics and Computer Animations.
Our graduating students have been accepted, among others, into: King's College London, Queen Mary University London, University of Edinburgh, University of Manchester, University of Warwick, University of Kent, University of Sussex, American University, Northeasten University, UCLA, Babson College, UCSA, McGill University, University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, University of Amsterdam, Delft University of Technology, Eindhoven University of Technology, University of Groningen, IE University, Zayed University, New York University, Paris-Sorbonne University.
We aim to provide exceptional opportunities for each of our students in a supporting and challenging environment.
From Grades 1-12, the IB programme provides students with a world-class, inquiry-based learning experience that is linked to real-life examples, enabling young people to be prepared for a future that is constantly changing. We also offer senior students an alternative practical option into the workplace or university by studying the IB Career-Related Programme (IBCP).
We pride ourselves on students attaining high academic standards, however, we are more than this. Truly excellent education is about developing a passion for life-long learning and a capability for independent thinking. Our confident and articulate students are encouraged to discover interests that extend beyond the classroom. Our school community has over 65 different nationalities, enabling students to develop moral values, and display kindness, courage, respect and integrity towards each other and throughout our diverse and multicultural environment.
The philosophy of the Physical Education Department at JBS is that every pupil should be given the opportunity and encouragement to achieve their potential in a wide range of activities - ‘Sport for All and Excellence’. We also believe in educating each student to become a lifelong learner and participator in sport.
Health and well-being is at the heart of JBS. As part of the IB programme, our young people learn how to balance different aspects of their lives - physical, intellectual and emotional - to achieve well-being for both themselves and others.
Our students have access to healthy meal and beverage options at our fully equipped campus cafeteria which is managed by Slices.
Slices is a home-grown food and beverage company aimed at transforming eating habits across the UAE by providing wholesome, nutritious meals.
Yes, we have fully equipped on campus, cashless canteen.
Our general school timings for the whole school are as follows:
Sunday to Wednesday: 8.30am to 2.20pm (Pre-KG & KG1 1:30pm dismissal)
Thursday: 8.30am to 1:30pm
Yes there is a school uniform. The JBS uniform can be purchased from Magrudy’s in Jumeirah 1.
To support students, JBS provides an EAL (English as an Additional Language) support program for identified students in Grades 1 to 10 as well as additional support where required for Early Years and Grades 11 and 12.
JBS is committed in its mission to support the needs of all students so that they may realise their full potential and flourish. As such we have plans in place to support those students who are gifted, talented or twice-exceptional:
- As appropriate teachers provide differentiated activities and a range of support taking into account the individual needs and preferences of the student.
- Ongoing assessment against year group objectives and international benchmarks are maintained and used formatively to set new curriculum targets for individuals so that they can achieve at the highest level and always aim to make further progress. Students are involved in this process.
- In addition, and especially at the end of the phase, extension activities that are more demanding of their abilities or enrichment activities that provide new and different ways of working will be provided.
- Opportunities for Gifted and Talented students to work on various projects within the school and across the Taaleem group of schools.
Yes, we have a dedicated Inclusion and Extended Learning team.
We work closely with outside agencies including educational psychologists, occupational therapists and speech therapists when students need more specialised interventions. These agencies work in partnership with the class teachers offering advice and guidance on adaptations that may be required. JBS also has a partnership with The Developing Child Center (TDCC) who provide a Speech Therapist and Occupational Therapist on-site for private therapies and to support us with the Transitional Classrooms.
Here at JBS we welcome and encourage active participation from our parent and guardian community. We strongly believe that together we can ensure a happy, healthy and vibrant community. Parents can be actively involved by joining the JBS Parent Friends Association (PFA) or by volunteering to be a Primary Homeroom Parent Rep.
Jumeira Baccalaureate School is a Best of school, a ranking determined by parent surveys on the site. It can be found in the following Best of rankings:
If you are the owner or the principal of the school and note any inaccuracies, or would like to update data, you can now open an account with us. You will also be able to add admissions availability per year group, and advertise current job vacancies. This is a free service. Please help us keep prospective parents up to date with your latest information.
Are you looking for a place for your child, and want help from our school consultants? If so, click on the link below, and we will forward your request for information to the school or schools of the same type that we are confident have availability. This is a free service for our readers. Request Information