Welcome to the GEMS Our Own English High School Al Ain official Q and A page. Here we ask the questions, and the school answers directly. It is its chance to have its say on specific areas you have told us you want to know about. If you think there are additional questions we should be asking you may contact us here.
Passionate about making a difference in the lives of children in our care by delivering quality and holistic approach to Education and supporting the UAE’s National Agenda for Education.
99% go to directly to the university after the sixth form, I am proud to say that our students have been accepted in quite reputed Universities across the globe.
• Manipal University, Manipal
• St. Gits College Of Applied Science, Kerala
• Amritha Institute Of Engineering, Kerala
• Acharya Institute Of Technology, Bangalore
• Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara Institute Of Medical Science, Dharwad
• Karunya University, Coimbatore
• Symbiosis International University, Pune
• Yennepoya Medical College, Mangalore
• Kmct Medical College, Calicut
• College Of Architecture, Trivandrum
• Galgotias University, Delhi
• Baby Memorial College, Calicut
• Srm University, Chennai
• Christ University, Bangalore
• Ms Ramiah Institute Of Technology, Bangalore
• Aditya Academy Of Architecture, Bangalore
• St. Joseph College Of Commerce, Bangalore
• Jain University, Bangalore
• Indian School Of Commerce, Kochi
• Symbiosis Law School, Pune
• Delhi University
• Mumbai University, Mumbai
• Scms College Of Business, Kochi
• Jai Hind College, Mumbai
• Rajagiri College Of Social Science, Kochi
• Vellore Institute Of Technology
• Women’s Christian College, Chennai
• Laxmi Bai College, Delhi University
• Mar Baselios College Of Engineering And Technology, Trivandrum
• McMaster University
• University of Toronto
• Simon Fraser University
• The University of British Columbia
• Carlton University
• Abu Dhabi University
• Heriot-Watt University
• Middlesex University
• Purdue University
• University of Sharjah
• Al Ain University
• DUBAI MEDICAL COLLEGE
• RAK Medical College
• AMITY UNIVERSITY, DUBAI
• UAE University
• University of Sharjah
• Rochester Institute of Technology
• PHOENIX FINANCIAL TRAINING, DUBAI
• Manipal University, Dubai
• Khawarizmi International College
• New York University, Abu Dhabi
EGYPT, UKRIANE and SUDAN:
• MSA Univeristy
• Alexandria University
• German University, Cairo
• U.M.S.T, Sudan
• Kyiv Medical University, Ukraine
• Nishtar Medical College, Multan
• King Edward Medical University, Lahore
P POLAND, HUNGARY, CZECH REPUBLIC & CROATIA
• University of Gdańsk
• Charles University - Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove
• University of Debrecen
• Rochester Institute of Technology, Dubrovnik
USA, UK, GERMANY and IRELAND
• Airborne Systems, Florida
• Rochester Institute of Technology, USA
• Karlsruhe University of Tech, Germany
• Technological University Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
• London South Bank University
Catering to 21st century learners ,our approach to education and teaching is about giving students the skills they need to succeed in this new world, and helping them grow the confidence to practice those skills. Skills for today the 4CS :Creativity, Critical thinking, Communication, Collaboration are well embedded in the curriculum. Preparing our students for tomorrow ,ample opportunity to explore ,enquire and to evaluate is provided . Digital integration is also fundamental and is used strategically to benefit students.Our teachers are trained quick learners, forward-thinkers, curious , flexible and serve as a guide, mentor or facilitator for their students and help the students to be ready as empathetic global citizens of tomorrow.
Yes, our students are encouraged to develop their ability to self-learn, to think, to work out the answers for themselves with the help of well- structured rubrics. Well -structured and interesting research based homework and filliped classroom approach make their learning memorable, the achievement feels powerful and the sense of pride is motivational. Keeping their wellbeing in mind our homework schedule is strategically planned to leave the students with more time. We are still working upon for more comprehensive, informative, recreational, well-paced and less time-consuming homework..
The school has established its environments that support healthy eating and physical activity. From the playground to the classroom, the entire school environment encourage healthy choices.
a. The students do not sit in one class, they change and go to the subject room each period that helps them to move around.
b. PE period is incorporated where all the students are engaged and encouraged to play games
c. In the school canteen, only food that are nutritional and well balanced are offered to the students and staff
d. School provide students assembly to address healthy eating, physical activity and related chronic disease prevention. Resources and plan are displayed near the school clinic
Half an hour
7:30a.m. - 1:50p.m.
We aim to present all children with a code of behaviour. We promote the development of a sense of right and wrong behavior by teaching your child the appropriate way to act and discouraging unacceptable behaviour.
Sometimes it is necessary to help children understand their own boundaries in certain situations, explaining why we do not accept certain behaviour and to exercise firm and consistent restraint.
At no time during disciplining your child would staff use physical punishment, e.g. beating, shaking or slapping and it is our belief that using negative words like “no” and “naughty” are unhelpful and leave no room for movement.
If a child presents at any time with unacceptable behaviour, staff will approach the situation in the following way:
(a) Intervene at the time of conflict in order to establish the cause of upset.
(b) talk to the children involved to gauge their feelings and reactions to the situation;
(c) Ask each child how they/the other must be feeling so that both may realize that it is not just one person involved;
(d) In younger children who are not yet able to reason diversionary tactics, distraction would be used at this time;
(e) Where possible staff will anticipate and defuse difficult situations before disagreements arise that children might find hard to handle.
At Our Own English High School Al Ain, detailed reports are sent to parents at the end of the every term. Parents also receive two interim reports each year, which provide them with information about their child’s current attainment, behaviour and effort. In addition to that, teachers are in regular contact with the parents on day-to-day basis whenever the need arises. Students on the other hand are given effective written and verbal feedback on a regular basis they are also encouraged to use well- structured rubrics for self and peer assessment .Based on their attainment data of external and internal examinations short term and long-term target is set. Regular effective feedbacks help the students to improve in their work, give clear direction to move towards the set target and achieve it.
French, Hindi and Malayalam
1) Identification of G&T - Based on CAT4 scores the G&T students are selected by SENDCO ,
The CAT4 scores overall must be 125 or above .The SENDCO compared skills scores along with school marks.
SENDCO prepares Advanced Learning Plan (ALP), conduct sessions with teachers, and trains them. How to implement ALP in the class.
2) Extra-Curricular Offer- E-Portfolio, challenging questions and Enrichment activities: based on skills such as verbal, non-verbal, quantitative and spatial. Encouraged all G& T students to participant in all the competition such as Debate, elocution, art, music dance etc.
3) Best Practice- Reading lists for each year group to extend and challenge more able students on library website. Rigorous assessments and homework activities. High expectations and standards above usual levels. Lessons very much discussion based to enable interest and debate to be explored. Precise questioning, leadership roles, research projects in each year group, course readers of academic.
1)Regular monitoring parent support parent support
2) Class strategies
3) ELL support English teacher or IEP (Individual Education Plan )
4) Meeting with teacher –parent and
5) Home strategies for parents
6) SENDCO prepares IEP (Individual Education Plan), PLP (personalized learning plan), & English language learners (ELL) depends on the students’ needs.
Yes, the SENDCO of our school, Mrs. Salma Liyakat Khan has a B.Ed. qualification in Special Education Needs in Learning Disability.
The School Counselor – Mrs. Blessy Varghese.
Emotional Needs- Teachers are oriented to identify and refer the students for counseling. (referral forms are put up on the school portal)
Developing resilience to withstand life challenges through workshop and assembly.
Adopting simple practices in the school to develop positive behavior and emotions through Happiness Ambassadors and Pastoral care team in our school.
Yes. Parents are invited to school and into classrooms during gallery walks, lesson observations. They help out during special days (Healthy Food day / Polka Dot day / Annual Concerts)
Yes. Gallery walks / coffee mornings
If you are the owner or the principal of the school and note any inaccuracies, or would like to update data, you can now open an account with us. You will also be able to add admissions availability per year group, and advertise current job vacancies. This is a free service. Please help us keep prospective parents up to date with your latest information.
Are you looking for a place for your child, and want help from our school consultants? If so, click on the link below, and we will forward your request for information to the school or schools of the same type that we are confident have availability. This is a free service for our readers. Request Information