Masks Off, Smiles Out! How Schools Celebrated

The news that so many parents, teachers and students had been waiting for finally became a reality on Monday evening: the masks could come off. After two years of a pandemic, school life would suddenly look very different, with visible smiles (hopefully) finally on show.
This article is part of an editorial series on Covid-19
Covid-19
Do your children attend a UAE school? Take our survey and help other parents.
WhichSchoolAdvisor's annual school survey.
LET'S GO
Covid-19
This article is part of an editorial series on Covid-19

The news that so many parents, teachers and students had been waiting for finally became a reality on Monday evening: the masks could come off. After two years of a pandemic, school life would suddenly look very different, with visible smiles (hopefully) finally on show. 

Parents have rejoiced across social media channels, with 91% of parents polled on Parents United declaring they had only positive feelings about the removal of the mask mandate, the remaining 9% expressing reservations but largely feeling positive about the change. 

Parent of two primary age children, Angela Bruce, said:

“We have been so supportive and positive about the Covid precautions over the past two years, but it is definitely time now to remove the masks at school. My children couldn’t believe it was true, and I must admit, I shed a tear. This is such good news.” 

Parent, Faisal Alyousuf, shared his response also:

“While masks were important for the past two and a half years, it is also just as important to deal with each other with bare faces, for enhanced learning, to develop stronger emotional intelligence and many other advantages associated with this.” 

Students and teachers have likewise expressed delight at the news. Neha Newalkar, a Year 13 student at GEMS Metropole School, shared her feelings:

“It is exciting to see that the mask mandate has finally been lifted for schools. Being able to see our peers and the younger students’ faces after two years and having a new sense of freedom, is something we have all been looking forward to for a long time now.”

Primary teacher Danielle McCormack told us:

“I actually cried. We have waited for this for so long, to be able to fully connect with our students, to see one another’s faces. This is such a huge thing for us in primary schools. I am so pleased by this news.”

Schools across the UAE shared images and videos of broad smiles, as teachers and students dramatically tore off their masks yesterday. 


Students jumped for joy at Bloom World Academy



Faces were revealed with broad smiles at Fairgreen International School



Students and staff were in a party mood at GEMS International School



Students at Safa British School took to the sports fields to proudly show off their smiles

 


There were plenty of laughs among students and staff at Nord Anglia International School Dubai

 

 

Comments
0 Schools Selected
keyboard_arrow_down keyboard_arrow_up
Your selection Clear All