Last week, the EDB suspended classes and brought forward the start of the summer holiday for all local schools in Hong Kong, following a rise in the number of Covid-19 cases. All secondary schools, primary schools and kindergartens started their summer holiday on Monday (July 13).
In a letter to all school principals on Tuesday (July 14), the EDB said that it had decided to tighten up measures to to further protect the health and safety of students, teaching and school staff as well as the general public. "Unless absolutely necessary, students should not go back to school," it said.
The EDB's decision comes as the government reintroduces tighter social distancing measures in response to a spike in mostly imported cases of Covid-19.
Most international schools are due to start their new academic year in August, just days after the end of the two-week suspension. The question being asked by many is, will these schools be allowed to open?
Secretary for education Dr Verena Lau said:
"I understand that schools, parents and students must be keen to confirm their new school schedules in order to make advance preparation.
"The Education Bureau will maintain close liaison with health experts and the school sector and, taking into account the development of the epidemic, finalise and announce the arrangements for the new school year as soon as possible."